I have my worms in a half drum. I’ve started by filling half the drum with bedding. The bedding was newspapers and on top, I’ve put dry leaves.
After about 2 months, the newspapers in the bin have now disappeared.
So now they need more bedding to live in. What I did was I’ve hand shredded more newspapers. Now the bin is almost full. And on top of that I’ve put more dry leaves. The dry leaves help to keep the newspapers below wet.
Then I’ve put food for them in the new bedding on top so they will move to the new bedding. I hope that they can get enough air in the old bedding below.
I sometimes pour water over the worm bin to harvest some of the castings. And I capture the water from the drainage holes in a bin. That liquid is filled with a lot of nutrients! I use it for my plants in my aquaponics system. That helps to make the plants stronger.
In june or july I will harvest this worm bin to start again. But I’ve planned to start a new and larger worm bin next month.
For questions or help, feel free to contact us via our email: firstname.lastname@example.org